FORMER CHAMP FRANKIE EDGAR MEETS CUB SWANSON WHEN THE UFC® RETURNS TO AUSTIN’S FRANK ERWIN CENTER ON SATURDAY, NOV. 22
BOBBY GREEN (#7) vs. EDSON BARBOZA (#12)
JOSEPH BENAVIDEZ (#2) vs. DUSTIN ORTIZ (#13)
BRAD PICKETT (#11) vs. CHICO CAMUS
JARED ROSHOLT vs. OLEKSIY OLIYNYK
YVES EDWARDS vs. AKBARH ARREOLA
TICKETS FOR UFC FIGHT NIGHT™: EDGAR vs. SWANSON
AT FRANK ERWIN CENTER – AUSTIN, TEXAS
ON SALE FRIDAY, OCTOBER 17
Las Vegas, Nevada – For the first time since 2010, the Octagon® makes its way back to the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, as former UFC® lightweight champ and current No. 3 featherweight contender Frankie “The Answer” Edgar takes on second-ranked Cub Swanson in a five-round main event that could propel the winner into a title shot.
Edgar (16-4-1, fighting out of Toms River, N.J.) returns to action riding a two-fight win streak over B.J. Penn and Charles Oliveira, hoping to earn his spot as the next title contender. The former lightweight champ has been a force since dropping to 145 pounds and is looking for his chance to become only the third fighter in UFC history to claim gold in two different weight classes. Swanson (21-5, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M.), a native of Palm Springs, Calif. who also splits time training at Jackson/Winkeljohn MMA, has been on a six-fight undefeated tear since January 2012 that includes wins over Ross Pearson, Dustin Poirier and, most recently, Jeremy Stephens. The heavy-handed knockout artist has plans for a potential title shot in 2015.
Also scheduled for the card:· Top-ranked lightweights collide in the co-main event as the always-exciting No. 7 contender Bobby Green (23-5, fighting out of Fontana, Calif.) meets twelfth-ranked Brazilian striker Edson Barboza (14-2, fighting out of Nova Friburgo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil).
· Fan-favorite and eleventh-ranked Brad “One Punch” Pickett (25-9, fighting out of East London, England) returns to action against the hard-hitting Chico Camus (14-5, fighting out of Milwaukee, Wis.) in a flyweight bout.
· Heavyweights collide as former Oklahoma State University wrestling standout Jared Rosholt (11-1, fighting out of Arlington, Texas) looks to remain unbeaten in the UFC as he takes on Sambo specialist Oleksiy Oliynyk (49-9-1, fighting out of Moscow, Russia.).
· San Antonio native and former flyweight title contender Joseph Benavidez (20-4, fighting out of Sacramento, Calif.) puts his second-place ranking on the line against thirteenth-ranked Dustin Ortiz (14-3, fighting out of Franklin, Tenn.) in a pivotal bout in the division.
· The Ultimate Fighter season 5 veteran Matt Wiman (15-7, fighting out of Arvada, Colo.) returns following an extended layoff against Greg Jackson-product Isaac Vallie-Flagg (14-5-1, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M.) at lightweight.
· Russian heavyweight Ruslan Magomedov (12-1, fighting out of The Republic of Dagestan, Russia) takes on the debuting Josh Copeland (9-0, fighting out Denver, Colo.).
· Britain’s The Ultimate Fighter season 17 cast member Luke Barnatt (8-1, fighting out of Cambridge, England) squares off against Texan Roger Narvaez (6-1, fighting out of Corpus Christi, Texas) at middleweight.
· Undefeated James “The Texecutioner” Vick (6-0, fighting out of Fort Worth, Texas) meets German Nick Hein (11-1, 1NC, fighting out of Cologne, Germany) at lightweight.
· Austin’s own Yves Edwards (42-21-1, 1NC, fighting out of Austin, Texas) makes his 66th professional MMA appearance against Mexican-born Akbarh Arreola (22-8-1, fighting out of Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico) in a lightweight contest.
· Women’s strawweight Paige VanZant (3-1, fighting out of Reno, Nev.) competes against unbeaten Kailin Curran (3-0, fighting out of Ewa Beach, Hawaii).
· Mexican grappler Juan Puig (11-3, fighting out of Mexico City, Mexico) faces South Korean prospect Dooho Choi (11-1, fighting out of Gumi, Gyeongsangbuk-do, South Korea) in a battle of featherweights.
Tickets for UFC FIGHT NIGHT™: EDGAR vs. SWANSON go on sale Friday, October 17 at 10 a.m. CT and are priced at $150, $100, $75, $50 and $40. Tickets may be purchased online at www.TexasBoxOffice.com, calling the Texas Box Office at 1-800-982-BEVO or visiting select Austin-area H-E-B Grocery Stores. Ticket prices do not include applicable service charges.
UFC Fight Club® members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to this event Wednesday, October 15 at 10 a.m. CT via the website www.ufcfightclub.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, October 16 starting at 10 am. CT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.
UFC FIGHT NIGHT™: EDGAR vs. SWAWNSON will air live on FOX Sports 1 at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT on Saturday, November 22, with the prelims kicking off the evening on FOX Sports 1 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT and on UFC FIGHT PASS™ at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT.
ANDERSON SILVA TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE AT THE COPACABANA PALACE IN RIO DE JANEIRO
Tuesday, October 14 at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT
Las Vegas, Nev. – Former UFC® middleweight champion Anderson Silva will host a press conference on Tuesday, October 14 at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT at the Copacabana Palace Hotel in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to discuss his highly anticipated return to the Octagon®.
After a 13-month layoff due to a fractured leg suffered in his second bout with UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, “The Spider” will defy the odds and return to competition live on pay-per-view January 31, 2015 in Las Vegas in a showdown with the fiery Nick Diaz.
The press conference will be streamed live on UFC.com starting at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT.
The press conference will be streamed live on UFC.com starting at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT.
WOMEN’S BANTAMWEIGHT CHAMPION RONDA ROUSEY
In addition to Rousey wearing the T-shirt, the winning designer will also receive The Ultimate UFC Pack, which includes a limited edition, custom-made EA SPORTS™ UFC® Octagon Kit autographed by Rousey, Monster UFC Octagon™ Headphones and Earbuds, and T-shirts printed with the winning design. The EA SPORTS UFC Octagon Kit includes a custom skinned Sony PlayStation® 4 console and two controllers, a copy of EA SPORTS UFC and a pair of Century UFC fight gloves.
“I’m excited to see all of the designs from our fans,” said Rousey. “Walkout T-shirts are an expression of the fighter and this contest gives one lucky designer the opportunity to be represented as part of the fight night.”
Rousey (10-0, fighting out of Venice, Calif.) has dominated the female sports world over the past few years. She broke through MMA’s glass ceiling and became the youngest Judoka contestant (at 17 years old) to enter the Olympic Games in Athens winning a bronze medal. Her move to mainstream spotlight followed after she became the first female fighter to sign a contract with the UFC. Since then she has appeared on covers of magazines including ESPN’s “The Body Issue” and Maxim. She coached the 18th season of the UFC’s reality television show The Ultimate Fighter® and crossed over into the world of Hollywood with roles in “The Expendables 3,” “Fast & Furious 7,” and the upcoming “Entourage” movie. Rousey has finished all her opponents inside the Octagon and the 16-second knockout victory at UFC 175 in July marked the third time she finished an opponent in under 30 seconds. Seven out of her 10 career victories have occurred in under a minute.
Anyone interested in participating in the contest should submit designs online at www.UFC.com/RondaTee during the contest period. The designs must be original and include the UFC logo and name “Ronda ‘Rowdy’ Rousey” or “’Rowdy’ Ronda Rousey.” Entries should be designed at 300 dpi or be in vector format and saved for web as a 1200 x 1200 JPEG file. For complete details and official rules, visit www.UFC.com/RondaTee. Contest ends Oct. 31, 2014. No purchase necessary.
The winning design will be announced in Nov. 2014 and will be worn by Rousey at her next fight.
TOP HEAVYWEIGHTS JUNIOR DOS SANTOS AND STIPE MIOCIC HEADLINE FIRST UFC EVENT IN PHOENIX
ARIZONA FIGHTERS JOHN MORAGA, JAMIE VARNER, JOE RIGGS, BRYAN BARBERENA AND ANTHONY BIRCHAK
TICKETS FOR UFC FIGHT NIGHT™: DOS SANTOS vs. MIOCIC
AT US AIRWAYS CENTER ON SALE FRIDAY, OCT. 10
Las Vegas – The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced that its first live event in Phoenix, on Saturday, Dec. 13 at US Airways Center, will be headlined by a pivotal heavyweight clash between former UFC® heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos and fourth-ranked Stipe Miocic. The event will also feature at least five competitors with Arizona ties.
One of the best heavyweights in UFC history, No. 2 contender Dos Santos (16-3, fighting out of Salvador, Bahia, Brazil) returns to the Octagon® for the first time since the final fight in his trilogy of bouts with current champion Cain Velasquez. Miocic (12-1, fighting out of Cleveland, Ohio), with consecutive wins over top contenders Roy Nelson, Gabriel Gonzaga and, most recently, Fabio Maldonado, is one of the hottest names in the division, and he hopes to keep his momentum going by taking the next step toward a shot at the heavyweight title.
In the co-main event, fiery lightweight Nate Diaz (18-9, fighting out of Stockton, Calif.) makes his highly anticipated return against third-ranked Rafael Dos Anjos (22-7, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil). After a near 13-month hiatus, Diaz looks to reestablish himself as a top contender in the 155-pound division. Beating Dos Anjos will be no easy feat, as the Brazilian standout boasts a two-fight win streak that includes a stunning first-round knockout of former lightweight champion Benson Henderson.
Plus, former STRIKEFORCE® heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem (37-14, 1NC, fighting out of Amsterdam, The Netherlands) faces 6’11” contender Stefan Struve (29-6, fighting out of Beverwijk, The Netherlands) in a hard-hitting heavyweight bout. Struve has won four out of his last five, with victories over Miocic, Lavar Johnson, Dave Herman and Pat Barry.
The Phoenix card will also feature former title challenger and longtime UFC veteran (No. 12) Gabriel Gonzaga (16-8, fighting out of Ludlow, Mass.) taking on surging former NFL player Matt Mitrione (8-3, fighting out of Indianapolis, Ind.). In addition, former Arizona State University NCAA Division I wrestler John Moraga (15-3, fighting out of Phoenix, Ariz.) meets fourth-ranked contender Jussier Formiga (17-3, fighting out of Natal, Brazil.) in the flyweight division.
Additional bouts include:
- Phoenix native Joe Riggs (28-9, fighting out of Glendale, Ariz.) returns to the UFC after eight years against veteran Ben Saunders (17-6-2, fighting out of Orlando, Fla.) in a welterweight bout.
- Former WEC® lightweight champion Jamie Varner (21-10-1, 2NC, fighting out of Scottsdale, Ariz.) meets The Ultimate Fighter season 15 contestant Drew Dober (14-6, fighting out of Omaha, Neb.).
- The Ultimate Fighter season 3 finalist Ed Herman (22-9, 1 NC, fighting out of Fort Collins, Colo.) faces rising middleweight star Derek Brunson (11-3, fighting out of Wilmington, N.C.).
- In the lightweight division, Joe Ellenberger (15-1, fighting out of Omaha, Neb.) takes on UFC newcomer Bryan Barberena (9-2, fighting out of Glendale, Ariz.).
- Plus, Anthony Birchak (11-1, fighting out of Tucson, Ariz.) and Ian Entwistle (8-2, fighting out of Phuket, Thailand.) will square off in a bantamweight bout.
Tickets for UFC FIGHT NIGHT™: DOS SANTOS vs. MIOCIC go on sale Friday, Oct. 10 at 10 a.m. PT and are priced at $200, $150, $100, $75, $50 and $40. Tickets will be available at the US Airways Center Box Office and all Ticketmaster locations. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 or on the web at www.ticketmaster.com. Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person. Ticket prices do not include applicable service charges.
UFC Fight Club™ members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to this event Wednesday, Oct. 8 at 10 a.m. PT via the website www.ufcfightclub.com. A special internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, Oct. 9 starting at 10 a.m. PT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.
UFC FIGHT NIGHT: DOS SANTOS vs. MIOCIC will be available live on FOX at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on Saturday, Dec. 13, with prelims kicking off on FOX Sports 1 at 5 p.m. ET/2 p.m. PT.
For more information or current fight news, visit www.ufc.com. All bouts live and subject to change.